Do you like being a positive influence in the lives of others?
Focal provides the Community with Services that empower a life of choice by listening and supporting a fulfilling life.
Multiple opportunities are now available to work with valued clients both in their homes and in the community. In particular in Ipswich, Logan and surrounding areas of Brisbane.
If you are an extraordinary person looking to join an organisation that truly makes a difference then read on.
What does it mean to work with us as a Support Worker?
It means that you are going to be a special person in someone’s life. You will be a trusted partner and provide ongoing support to them. This ensures they have the best chance to develop a rich lifestyle and opportunities for choice, control, self-advocacy and being a valued member of the community.
We recognise that our clients, families and carers are all important in the decision-making process and we are here to support them. You must work well within a team, have excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
For this specific role, it is ESSENTIAL that you have:
- Experience with working with children and youth, under the age of 18 (or willingness to work in the areas of children and youth).
- Preferred experience working with children with a diagnosis of Autism, FASD (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder), ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).
- Preferred experience working with children and youth (or willingness to learn), who can display challenging and complex behaviours, which may include physical and verbal aggression, self-harm, property damage and absconding. This will include working in collaborative stakeholder team with therapists, parents/carers/families, other experienced workers and management team.
- Preferred mental health experience (in the particular areas of trauma informed support, PTSD, attachment disorders and anxiety). This could include working with children and youth who have suffered significant trauma in their lives.
- Own vehicle and Driver’s License essential along with a vehicle safety check, current registration and comprehensive insurance.
- Willing to complete further training (if applicable)
- Current Police Check (less than 90 days old)
- Blue Card
- Hold a current Yellow Card/Yellow Card Exemption or NDIS Worker Screening Clearance
Clients have unique needs and we provide a broad range of support including but not limited to:
- Offering Social support, Emotional regulation and Positive Behaviour Support
- The support work could involve working alone at times or in group environments
- Preferred experience working with children with alternative communication styles (or willing to learn).
- Facilitating Community access
- Light domestic duties, housework and meal preparation;
- Tailored day to day activities and weekly planning;
- Transportation to and from social activities and appointments;
- Self-care – showering, grooming, mobility;
- Toileting – changing incontinence aides, toilet training,
- In this role, it is ESSENTIAL that support workers are willing and able to fully engage with young children and youth, and participate in a wide range in play based and recreational activities.
- This role is more suited to individuals who have good physical and mental fitness.
This is only a guide as the role may change with the needs of the client. If you feel you have the necessary skills and experience for this specialised growth area within Focal, contact us now for further information or apply using the button below.